Braeburn Apple Pie with Cinnamon-Infused Crust
Pastry crust is infused with cinnamon and filled with apples sweetened with sugar and spices
- 2 cups Ultragrain® All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup cold Fleischmann's® Original-stick
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Ultragrain® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples, such as Braeburn or Granny Smith (6 cups = about 5)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse granulated sugar
- Reddi-wip® Original Dairy Whipped Topping
- Make Pastry: Combine the 2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening and Fleischmann’s with pastry blender or 2 knives until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until flour is moistened and pastry almost clings to side of bowl (add 1 to 2 teaspoons more water, if necessary). Gather pastry into a ball.
- Divide dough in half and shape each into a round flat disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Make Filling: Combine the 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Add apples and lemon juice; toss lightly.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Flatten 1 disc of dough gently using hands on lightly floured surface. Roll dough from center into circle 12-inches in diameter. Transfer dough to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch dough. Spoon Filling into pastry. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Roll remaining disc of dough into circle 12-inches in diameter. Carefully place pie crust over filling; trim 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie plate. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust; press edges together to seal. Flute edge. For Topping: Brush top crust with the 1 tablespoon water and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Make 5 or 6 cuts in top crust in spoke pattern to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil during last 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 8 slices. Top each slice with a serving of Reddi-wip just before serving.
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat||18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat||5 g||23%|
|Dietary fiber||5 g||19%|
About our Nutrition Information
You have successfully submitted your rating or review for this recipe. If you submitted a review, please note that it might take up to 72 hours for your review to appear on our site.